11 December 1935
The National Historical Film and Speaking Record Library is established.
The Paton Committee decides not to establish the Film Division as a separate organisation. Instead, it is attached to the new National Library of Australia.
1959: The Film Division, later known as the National Library’s Film Collection and Services, joins FIAF.
1972: Jedda (1955) becomes the first restoration project, returning the severely faded film to its original full-colour appearance.
1972: The library creates the National Film Archive within Film Collection and Services. Ray Edmondson leads the team of seven.
May 1974: The National Library creates its Music Section.
June 1975: Salute to Australian Film is the first large-scale retrospective of Australian cinema, presented over two weeks as part of the Sydney Film Festival. The National Film Archive supplies prints.
1977: Silks and Saddles (1921) is the National Film Archive’s first silent film reconstruction. It screens at the Sydney Film Festival.